By Pastor Segun Doherty
“Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.” – John 4:34
Each month God sends word to us, He means what He says. As we round up the month of supernatural increase, there’s one vital thing that will keep you consolidated and it is the passion for our God. Our passion should be for God. He wants us to have a deep passion for him in this time and age while the world is running after mundane things. Your passion in life determines your pursuit. Your pursuit helps your purpose to evolve in life. In other words, what you are passionate about will affect your destiny.
What is passion?
Passion is a very deep interest i.e. whatever interests you in life is a passion. God wants you to create a deep interest for him and his things (Matthew 6:33). In our world today, we are most saddled with passion for mundane things. But God wants us to shift our focus from those. You can’t value things more than God and expect God to honour you (Malachi 1:6). You must use your talents for God.
Five ways by which you can develop your passion for God
1. Passion for fellowship with God on a daily basis. The only way God can know you face to face is through passion for fellowship (Hebrew 10:22, psalms 34:18, Deuteronomy 34:10, James 2:23).
2. Passion for righteousness. Be determined to live right all the time and do not compromise. Set a spiritual standard for yourself and work to fulfil them. Pay premium on your character before God and not before man. You need to have passion for God and righteousness (Matthew 5:20, 1 Timothy 6:11, Proverbs 11:19).
3. Passion for lost souls. The heartbeat of God is soul winning. For you to be able to win souls, you must love what God loves and hate what He hates (John 4:35, Daniel 12:3).
4. Passion for God’s word. One of the reasons David was a man after God’s heart was his passion for the word. When you desire the word of God like milk, you will have strength in the day of adversity (Psalms 119:47, 72, 103; Jeremiah 15:16; 1 Peter 2:2).
5. Passion for praise and worship. Thank God for the good times and the uncomfortable times. Those who have passion for worship by implication are acknowledging that God is the first and last and the most paramount (John 4:24, Exodus 20:4).Â
God loves those who ascribe glory to Him. Your idol is anything you value more than God (money, job, children, spouse etc.). Psalms 95:6 is a call to worship, reverence and acknowledge God. If you bow and worship God, you can’t bow for man (Revelation 14:7). The presence of God is the secret of life and living.