By Pastor Segun Doherty
Bible Passage: Hebrews 10:35-39
“Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:” – Hebrews 10:35-36
Looking at what is happening in our world, those who have the ability to become who God has created them to be, have had their heads bowed by situations and circumstances they find themselves in. Don’t throw away your confidence because this is the year of realization of your vision and fulfilment of your dreams. The bible makes us to understand that Abraham believed in hope. If the enemy steals hope from a man/woman, the person is finished (Romans 4:18). God spoke to Abraham like He has spoken to us since the beginning of the year, but maybe the situation and circumstance we find ourselves are the direct opposite of what God has said don’t lose your confidence. Even though the promise may look impossible, don’t lose your confidence. Because Abraham the father of faith held onto God’s word, he wasn’t weak in faith and we should take clue from that.
Faith is believing God for what He has said and operate in it. Abraham didn’t consider the deadness of his body nor the deadness of Sarah’s womb, he believed in hope. He didn’t lose his confidence that it can still happen, after all how do you tell anyone that a 90year of man can have a child? Abraham held on to what God promised him. What is it that God has promised you in life? It may not look as if it is happening but please don’t lose your confidence, it will still happen.
Abraham was confident that whenever God makes a promise, He makes good of His promise. What has God spoken to you? What are the promises of God you can lay hold on? As a seed of Abraham through Christ Jesus, God has promised you greatness. He will make sure it comes to pass but you have a part to play. Abraham believed against hope but he was able to hold on to the promise of God. Therefore, you must be confident that God will fulfil His promise concerning you no matter how.
What is confidence? Confidence is the trust in someone’s ability that he can never fail. It is relying on the fact that someone has the capacity and ability to make good of their promise and that is our God. When God tells you this is what I want you to do, He may not tell you what to go through to get it but it’s done. He showed Joseph how He will make him a leader of his family and even his generation. Even his father couldn’t believe it, his brethren envied him and treated him badly. When they eventually came to Egypt and God had fulfilled what He promised, they bowed. Has God promised you something? Be guaranteed, He will make it come to pass.
God doesn’t want us to put our trust in anything outside him. Don’t trust in any man in flesh and blood but rather trust Him who can never fail (Jeremiah 17:5). When you trust and rely on God who can never fail, if you don’t throw away your confidence, God has a way by divine arrangement to make that which He has said to come to pass. God can use the fellow you expect or an unexpected person. Don’t let your confidence be based on one who has no power, whose breath is in his nostrils. Is your confidence in the one who made you? Many put their confidence in man and they have been greatly disappointed. The only one who will promise and never fail is God.
Before you can have confidence in someone, there must have first been a relationship. Likewise, before you can have confidence and absolute trust in God, let there be a relationship; a personal relationship. Many have lost hope in God because they don’t have a genuine relationship with Him. If you know with or without, God is still God, you won’t lose your confidence.
How do you build your confidence in God?
- You have to accept His invitation to come closer. When you are confident about something, you get closer. Build your confidence in God by moving closer to Him. He’s calling you to a life of relationship and intimacy.
- Trust in God only and not in man. Put your absolute trust in God
- Serve Him with all your heart. God is more interested with worshippers, don’t serve Him with condition. Serve Him effortlessly, sacrificially, limitlessly and see Him in action (Matthew 6:33).
- Keep a cheerful and joyful heart like Joseph.
- By not being weak but strong in faith so that the moment your faith is weak, His own strength will perfect your weakness. Believe that God is able to perform what He promised. If God can create heaven and earth, what can He not create? If He has given us Jesus Christ to take our place on the cross of Calvary, what is it that is more that he can’t give you? God gave us His only, His all and His best, if he has given us that, what is it on earth that He can’t give? (John 3:16)
- Don’t just seek God, be a chaser and pursuer of God. When you chase after God, He goes all out to make sure you are never put to shame.
No matter where you are now, no matter the situation around your life; there’s a greater level. A greater level of relationship with God, a greater level of breakthrough, prosperity and anointing provided you don’t lose your confidence in God.