By Pastor Segun Doherty
Bible Passage: Matthew 28: 18-20
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen” – Matthew 28:19-20
Can God count on you to expand His kingdom? After the death and resurrection of Christ when He met with the disciples; He didn’t only give them a command, as a matter of fact, He gave the whole world a marching order known as the great commission. What is our main duty as believers and Christians? Our man duty as believers on earth is to win souls. It is the will of God that all souls be saved. However, these days, people are not preaching the gospel anymore.
Why are people not obeying God’s injunction to win souls?
- Most people don’t see it as their responsibility. Our job description is not just inviting people to church but inviting them directly to God (Acts 4:20);
- Many believe that it is the work of the evangelism department (Matthew 18:11, 2 Timothy 4:5, 2 Corinthians 5:18);
- Many feel that they are not able to evangelise. There are some bible characters who also felt the same way about being used by God (Moses in Exodus 3:10-13, Jeremiah in Jeremiah 1:6, Gideon in Judges 6:15. Despite their thought, God used them. God doesn’t call the qualified, he qualifies the called (Isaiah 6:8, Acts 4:13);
- Many see other things as more important than evangelism. Don't give God excuses for not sharing the gospel, there are people out there yearning for the word (Luke 9:59, Matthew 6:13);
- Many don't love God enough. The demonstration of your love to God is keeping his commandment. Action is the best way to prove your love for Him (Deuteronomy 6:5, John 14:14, 21);
- Many fear that they will not succeed at evangelism. However we forget the people around us are looking for the way. This is the fear of man and of rejection by those around us (Psalm 27:1-3, Proverbs 9:10; 29:25).