Can God Count on You? (Part 1) By Pastor Segun Doherty
“Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” – Ephesians 4:3
God expects each one of us to protect and support the unity of our church. He desires that we fellowship, experience oneness and harmony. Unity is the soul of fellowship. Once you destroy the unity of spirit in the bond of peace, you rip the heart of Christ’s burden. Unity of the spirit in the bond of peace is highly crucial for personal fulfilment.
Our model and standard is the Trinity; God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit unified as one. Before Jesus died for our sins, He prayed for our unity (John 17:20-23). Nothing is more valuable here on earth to God than His church. The church is not a building but individuals like us (John 3:16).
How do we keep the bond of unity?
1. Focus on what we have in common and not our differences. (Romans 4:19; 1 Corinthians 1:10)
2. Be realistic in your expectation. Don’t be discouraged by the gap between the ideal and the real. It is immaturity while you are longing for the ideal to criticize the real. It is complacency to settle for the real without considering the ideal. (Ephesians 4:2)
3. Choose to encourage rather than criticize. (Ephesians 4:29, James 5:9)
4. Don’t listen to gossip. (Proverbs 17:4; 26:20)
5. Practice God’s method of resolving conflict by collaboration. (Matthew 18:15-17)
6. Be obedient to God’s instruction. Obedience is the catalyst to a fulfilled destiny. (1 John 5:3)
7. Support your pastor and your leaders. (Hebrews 13:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:12)
On a final note, you must accept your responsibility to protect, promote and see to the progress of your church.