Arresting the Arrester by Pastor E.A. Adeboye
Texts: 1 Kings 13:14-19, 2 Kings 6:13-20, Jeremiah 1:4-5, Galatians 1:15-16
God sent everyone to the earth for a purpose and for every purposeful life, there are enemies waiting to intercept. The primary assignment of the arrester is to make sure that you don’t become what God wants you to become and he will try every means possible to achieve this. The good news however is that God can always be one step ahead of the enemy and He will arrive first in your life In Jesus’ Name.
Types of arresters
The external (physical and spiritual) and the internal (unseen).
Who are the external arresters?
1. Hereditary or those that run in a generation (2 Kings 2:19-22): they have been present before you were born. For instance in 2 Kings 2:19-22, we see that the water in Jericho was bad and the land was barren. This was as a result of the curse placed on the city by Joshua years before. There are curses inherited which cause challenges to unborn generations.
2. Those who are envious of your achievement for no reason (Numbers 16:1-33). Some people will dislike you for no particular reason especially when they see all the great things God is doing through you. When things are tough the enemy does not bother but when he sees that you are progressing, there will be trouble. God does not want you to be moved by them (Psalm 24:1, Psalm 114:7, Psalm 104:32) because they will hear from Him. Never take part in a revolt against someone who is just minding their business.
3. The enemies of progress (Joshua 10:1-11, Isaiah 66:1, Ephesians 1:18-23): those who do not wish you well and are threatened by your progress. God is above every enemy you may have. At the name of Jesus every knee must bow. The Lord will uproot every plant that He has not planted in your life In Jesus’ name.
4. Family foes (Matthew 10:36, 1 Samuel 17:22-29, 1 Samuel 22:1-2): these are one of the worst forms of arresters because they know your plans and a lot about you. In Genesis 37:17-28, Joseph’s enemies were from his family but in the end they bowed down to him. When God intervenes, every one of your household enemies will come and bow down to you.
5. Those that look for offence (2 Kings 1:9-12, Daniel 6): These are people who monitor you and look for your shortcoming in order to disturb you relationship with God. They find every means possible to get you into trouble.
Who are the internal arresters?
They are more difficult to deal with than the external arresters.
1. Love of the stomach (Genesis 25:29-34): Esau sold his birth right to satisfy his stomach and he lost his blessings to Jacob. Some cannot fast even for a day because their stomachs are their gods. Do not be controlled by greedy appetite because it leads to destruction (Philippians 3:19, 1 Corinthians 6:13, 2 Corinthians 11:27).
2. Lust of the flesh (Genesis 35:22, Genesis 49:1-4): This particularly expressed by the hunger for unholy sex. Reuben was cursed by his father because he failed to control his sexual appetite. Immorality is an offshoot of the lust of the flesh as reflected in the life of Samson (Judges 16:1-31). Immorality is one of the greatest arresters of destinies so beware!
3. Laziness (Proverbs 12:24): laziness is a destiny arrester which hinders many from succeeding. Lazy people never reach their goals because they have excuses for not taking action.
4. Temper/Anger (Exodus 2:11-15, Numbers 20:7-12, Ecclesiastes 7:9, Proverbs 16:32): Moses was hindered by anger and it made him go against God’s instruction. You must control your temper at all times because anger has the capacity to cut short your blessings.
1. It is impossible to arrest a holy man because his God will fight for him (2 Kings 1:9-12, 2 Kings 6:13-20, Daniel 6);
2. It is impossible to keep a soul-winner down (Acts 5:17-25; 12:1-11; 16:16-39).
Prayer Points from the message
1. Arise O Lord and arrest every arrester in my foundation.
2. Father, bury every arrester of my achievement alive.
3. Father, bomb every enemy of my progress and don’t let them fly again.
4. Every arrester within my family before they destroy me, destroy them.
5. Any force trying to interfere in my relationship with you (that won’t let me serve you or get closer to you), send down fire from heaven and roast them.
6. Father, I beg you don’t let my belly destroy me.
7. Father, please don’t let laziness destroy me.
8. Father, let there be a restoration of all I have lost